Tuesday, May 4, 2010

There is nothing better...

Some friends at work were going to see a movie tonight, and although it was extremely nice of them to invite me along, I of course declined because I don't have a sitter for James.  For a little while at work I was thinking about how much I really loved going to the movies... just a simple life pleasure of mine but always one of my favorite things to do... and I got a little (ok, I have PMS right now... I got REALLY) bummed knowing that those days of just randomly going out to a movie are long over for quite a while.

But at the end of the day---extremely tired and ridden with a headache from yet another monotonous and uneventful day at work, just feeling like plain crap because I've had a sour day and knowing I wouldn't be able to go see a movie I wanted to see--- I drive to pick my boy up from school and as soon as I open the door to his classroom, he spots me from across the room and greets me with a smile.  He has no idea that earlier today during my lunch break I came by to see how his day was going and to play for a few minutes, but he was taking a nap.  He's just genuinely happy to see me.  And his smile doesn't leave his face until he's in my arms and out the door.

And when we get home to our uber messy house that needs to be desperately clean, with orange spit up stained on my shirt from when he burped on me outside, and regardless of the fact that I'm exhausted, worn out, starving--- I get him comfortable, let him relax while I take the dogs out to pee, then I give him a nice warm bubble bath and massage him extra longer this time than I normally do (even rub his little temples).  I then fix his dinner and feed it to him, then we play and read our bedtime story, just like we do every night.  Then--- at this point I'm beyond exhausted--- tuck him in bed and sing him goodnight, and before he closes his eyes to go to sleep, he looks at me and smiles.

And I realized that there is no movie that could ever be better than the way I just spent my evening. :)

(James in his jammies reading his night night book)

No comments:

Post a Comment